When I'm in idea creation sessions (ideation / brainstorming) with groups I frequently hear the same negativity over and over -- these non-helpful phrases that take the meeting off-track, take time away from problem solving (solutioning) and generally turn what should be collaborative into combative!
Top ten phrases that kill brainstorming (and suck the very life-force out of you in the process):
10. We tried that.
9. But how will that make any money?
8. Someone's already done that.
7. No none has done that yet, so it must not be feasible.
6. We can't afford that.
5. Sounds hard.
4. I hate it / I don't get it (No one will buy that.)
3. This is a waste of time.
2. Its not in the manual/ SOP / lawyers will never approve it.
What's the one youhear the most? Which ones did I miss? Add your thoughts in the comments.